Reading time: 4 minutes
Because everyone loves lists… especially me. Here’s a round-up of the best and brightest spots discovered on our six-month journey around the States.
Best food overall:
Stu: “Tennessee. You’re probably going to say something stupid like New Orleans, aren’t you?”
Em: “New Orleans.”
Unanimous for nowhere.
A tie between New Orleans and NYC
Best live music scene:
Nashville and New Orleans
Saddest homeless population:
Tie between LA and San Francisco. No photo for this one. Just imagine tents lining the freeways and people sleeping everywhere. Not cool.
LA. Again, seems best not to photograph the people who might knife you.
Utah in the fall. Now this I have photos of.
Florida in the summer. Yeeech.
Best bookshops Canada:
MacLeod’s Books, Vancouver, and The Bookman, Charlottetown, PEI
Best bookstore USA:
Xanadu Music & Books, Memphis. This place had a really well curated collection, but it also had personality. The owner went on an awesome rant about the evils of numerous corporations, including Amazon, then introduced us to his cat Dashiell Hammett who promptly threw up on the rug.
Best national park:
State with best national parks overall:
And finally, another list:
Trip highlights: top 10 adventures
1. Tour: Stephen King tour of Bangor, Maine
2. Tour: Kenny Kramer’s Seinfeld Tour, New York City
3. Tour: Atlanta Movie Tours’ The Walking Dead locations, Senoia, Georgia
4. Tour: Grand Canyon Whitewater’s 6-day Grand Canyon raft trip
5. Show: The Lion King on Broadway
6. Show: Tim Ferriss Interviews Terry Crews, LA Live Talks
7. Ride: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Universal Studios, Orlando
8. Self-guided tour: Anne of Green Gables book locations, Prince Edward Island, Canada
9. Self-guided tour: The Goonies & Twin Peaks locations, northeast USA
10. Sight: Frederick Law Olmsted’s gardens in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Atlanta (Central Park, Prospect Park, Linear Park).
Bonus entry: every national park, particularly Utah and Zion’s The Narrows!